Make the topping with or without the Brandy and/or Cognac. The brandy brings extra flavor and warmth to the berries.
*2 cups filtered water
*4 Tbs tapioca small pearls
*¼ cup maple sugar, coconut palm sugar or agave
*pinch of sea salt
*2 cup homemade almond milk, unsweetened soy or coconut milk
*1/3 cup shredded coconut (optional)
*1 Tbs arrowroot, dissolved in 2 Tbs cold milk whisking until combined
*1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Brandy Red Raspberries:
*2 pints fresh organic raspberries (or 1 bag organic frozen)
1 Tbs agave
2 Tbs cognac or brandy
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
For The Tapioca:
1. In a saucepan bring the water to a boil.
2. Use a whisk to add the tapioca pearls, preventing them to stick together.
3. Turn down heat to low and let the tapioca cook for about 15 minutes or until the pearls have lost about half of their opaqueness, whisk often to prevent sticking together. The mixture will have slightly thickened and the liquid will be cloudy.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, salt and milk of your choice together.
5. Whisk in mixture to tapioca and let cook for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often. If using the shredded coconut, stir in and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Whisk in arrowroot mixture, constantly whisking until tapioca gets thicker. About a minute.
7. Stir in vanilla extract until combine and turn off stove.
8. Pour into heat resistant bowl and cool a bit before putting into the refrigerator until set.
9. Find your best decorative glasses or bowls and layer the Tapioca and the toppings of your choice. I used the
Brandy Raspberries for mine.
Instructions For The Brandy Raspberries:
This is simple. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and fold the liquid over the berries and let the entire mixture sit for an hour or so in the refrigerator. The idea is to infuse the berries with the Brandy or Cognac.
Photo Credit: http://www.dramaticpancake.com/