Chia seed is like my new lover. I want to flaunt her, dress her up and tell everybody about her. But then I want her all to myself. I don’t want her price going up like her masculine cousin, quinoa. She’s already pricey enough ($6-$9 packet). But she’s beautiful and nutritionally complex and worth every cent.
What makes her so special?
- She has more omega 3’s than a 4oz piece of salmon. In fact, if you had her for breakfast, you could skip your fish oil supplement that day
- She has 12g of fiber (real stuff, not that fake processed stuff that has been infused with inulin to boost the fiber content – Kashi cereal I’m talking to you)
- She’s a natural appetite suppressant. She swells to 10 times her size when exposed to fluid
- She has the same amount of protein as one egg
- She is gluten free and dairy free
- She is rich in B vitamins and magnesium (nutrients required to counter stress)
- She travels well
- She’s playful and likes other food
And that’s how this recipe came about. I was looking for a hint of sweetness without adding sugar, agave or coconut crystals. The fresh orange juice and vanilla bean was all that she needed. I soaked her in coconut milk overnight, added the other ingredients and voila, an orange creamsicle inspired breakfast!
Photo Credit: www.runningtothekitchen.com