November was a stagnate month. Everything felt sticky – even the air in New York was thick and intense. Fortunately, December brought a lighter energy and warmer weather. Inspired by that, I created a cleansing and vibrant salad for Monday evening’s dinner – a mint, fennel and black bean salad. I also tossed in radishes, flat leaf parsley and a hint quinoa, then dressed it in a garlic, lemon and olive oil marinade. Perfect for a Meatless Monday dinner!Photo Credit: www.mynewroots.com
Mint, Fennel and Black Bean Salad
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1/2 bunch radishes
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 bunch of mint
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- a few handfuls sunflower sprouts
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbl EVOO
- dash of maple syrup
1. Slice the fennel bulb into very thin strips (a mandoline may help). Add thinly sliced radish and green onions. Next add the black beans and quinoa.
2. Make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake to combine.
3. Pour the dressing over the quinoa and fennel salad. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes to marinate.
4. Add sprouts and chopped herbs to the salad. Fold to incorporate. Season to taste.