Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory spice which can help to decrease muscle soreness after an intense workout. It also neutralizes free radicals which can lead to wrinkles, cellulite, and fatigue. In addition, turmeric improves liver detoxification, so that pesticides and other environmental chemicals are safely removed from the body. It also turns on a gene that enhances the body’s own production of antioxidants thereby acting as a powerful anti-aging nutraceutical. Its warm, peppery flavor and golden color adds a richness and depth to smoothies, vegetables, legumes, nut-pates and eggs.
Here are 10 easy ways to add turmeric into your life.
1. Turmeric eggs with coconut oil – pan-fry two eggs in coconut oil in a skillet. Dust with sea salt and turmeric. Serve with sautéed turmeric kale.
2. Turmeric kale – using the same cast iron pan, sauté the kale in coconut oil, add a pinch of sea salt and dust with turmeric.
3. Turmeric milkshake – activated almond milk with ground turmeric, ginger, banana and ice.
4. Turmeric elixir – boil turmeric root in water, discard the turmeric. Add raw honey, ground turmeric, lemons and cayenne pepper. Blend with ice then cool.
5. Curried chickpeas – dust drained chickpeas with turmeric, curry powder and sea salt. Roast for 20 minutes, then serve.
6. Spiced cauliflower – Toss cauliflower in olive oil and turmeric. Roast for 30 minutes. Serve with lemon zest and cilantro.
7. Turmeric vegetable dip – Blend cashews, young coconut flesh, coconut water, olive oil, garlic, ground turmeric and ground ginger together. Serve with vegetable crudités.
8. Spiced dahl – bring lentils to boil in vegetable stock. Add curry powder and canned tomatoes. In coconut oil, lightly pan-fry ground turmeric, cinnamon and cardamon. Stir through dahl. Serve.
9. Spiced carrot and tahini soup – pan-fry carrots, onion, garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric and sea sat. Add vegetable broth. Blend with tahini and lemon juice. Serve dusted with turmeric and topped with cilantro.
10. Turmeric and pumpkin seed pate – blend soaked pumpkin seeds with tamari, garlic, turmeric and sun-dried tomatoes. Add water as needed. Serve with flax-seed crackers.Photo Credit: www.pureveg.com